Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Online Forecast

At the beginning of the month I announced my intention to run a campaign via Google Hangouts this year.

I have put a lot of thought into it. I've asked you guys what you'd like to see. I've asked some of my 'in person' friends what they think would work. I compared the notes. I've looked over my gaming collection, in both hard copy and pdf formats, and searched deep inside myself to see what it is I truly want to run that others would want to play.

It's that last bit that always gets me.

I have an idea, a great idea, an inspired, fun and off-beat idea.

I should probably go with something more mundane.

Still and all, a number of factors are pointing me toward the strong belief that my idea is both sound and viable. It will work and it will be entertaining. Will people want to play it? Well that is a different story...

Without revealing exactly what it is just yet, let's see if I can tell you why I'm choosing it and why I think it will work.

***

It's Science Fiction

I like Science Fiction, I've good at running it and most people suggested I run something in a Science Fiction vain (Like Star Trek, Star Wars or Traveller for example).

It's Comical

Not silly but it is a comedy or humor oriented game. Some of my best games have been my 'serious comedy' games that combine a sense of humor and the absurd with a solid premise and setting.

The universe isn't necessarily funny but what happens to the people in it is.

It's Familiar

In that it is both easy to comprehend and actually based on a fairly well known IP. Well known by us geeks and fandom enthusiasts.

While not every fan is familiar with every comic book, movie or TV show, this one has a premise that, one it get it started, is fairly easy to get into the swing of. Regardless of familiarity with the series it is based on, the idea of said series is simple to convey.

Anyone guess what it is yet?

***

Barking Alien bestie blog EXONAUTS has recently posted a rather nifty idea and I may use the challenge he has presented to detail this campaign idea if time allows. The concept is 30 posts in 60 Days to create a campaign. Go check it out.

In the meantime, I'm off to work.

Laters,

AD
Barking Alien




5 comments:

  1. Well, you've already done GALAXY QUEST, and QUARK or RED DWARF or HYPERDRIVE would be overtly silly instead of humor-from-character. TRANSMETROPOLITAN?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, a QUARK RPG...that actually sounds awesome. ;)

      Delete
  2. Or COWBOY BEBOP, before things get heavy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, I'm still waiting for BLAKE'S SEVEN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firefly? A serious universe with a nice dose of humour.

    Battlestar Galactica (the original series)? I never saw it but I heard it was humourous at times.

    Star Wars: Clone Wars? Lets be honest, everything Clone Wars outside of the Genndy Tartakovsky series was comically bad.

    ReplyDelete